You can dye your khaki pants black in the same way you dye any other fabric. You must follow the same steps and pre-steps before dying the pants black. Also, the material of the pants has to be dyeable. To know if the fabric is dyeable or not you can check the label and make sure it’s made of cotton, linen, rayon, or silk. If not 100% then at least 60% of the textile should include dyeable material.
How Do You Dye Khaki Pants Black
By khaki pants, you can mean pants made of pure khaki fabric or mixed khaki fabric. Or else it’s made of any material but the color of them is khaki or yellowish-brown. No matter what the case is you can use all-purpose dye for the job. All-purpose dye is easy to use and safe at the same time. You can also recycle your clothes by dyeing and reusing them.
Pre-steps For Dyeing Pants
1. You can’t just get your cloth and dip it into color to dye it. You need to get a dye that is safe to use on your pants. All-purpose dye is the safe option but if you can find anything specific you can use it.
2. Next, you must read the instructions on the packaging of the dye. Then keep all the necessary items close beforehand.
Taking precautions to made the dye –
Firstly, you must get rubber gloves. As if you don’t use rubber gloves while working with the dye your hand can get stained for a long time. Moreover, you’ll need white vinegar or salt and hot water to activate the dye. Because these items help to intensify the color.
But before activating the dye make sure the pant is not made of polyester. Even if it is, the percentage of polyester should be as less as possible. Because polyester doesn’t absorb dye or hue. Hence the whole project can fail if it includes polyester. Now take your pants and clean them properly then leave them damp. If the pants are clean from before then damp them in warm water.
Steps For Dyeing Pants Black
- Get a big bowl and wear gloves. If you’ve liquid dye then pour it into the bowl. But if you’ve got powdered dye then you need to prepare it according to the instruction in the package. Usually. Two cups of hot water are needed to mix with the recommended dye powder. Though you should double up the measurement of the powder.
- After getting the mixture ready you have to mix white vinegar or salt into it. If the material of the pants is cotton, linen, or rayon then use salt. However, if the material is wool, silk, or, nylon then you can use vinegar.
- Now get enough water into the bowl or bucket to dip the pants completely. You can take more water than needed but not less. Also, take hot water as instructed and as hot as possible.
- Soak the pants in the water mixture of dye. Or, you can take the pants in a bucket and pour the mixture. Use a wooden spoon to soak the pants and stir to make sure all the parts of the pants are dyed. No spot should be left colorless.
- Keep stirring for 30 minutes to an hour. Take out the pants in between stirring and check if they have the desired color. You should keep the pants stirring in the solution until you have the preferred color. But not more than two hours.
- When you have the preferred color on your pants, take them out and squeeze out the excess colors. Then run them in warm water in the sink. Continue to rinse them till the extra dye is out.
- Then wash them in cold water a few times until the water is clear.
- Lastly, wash them in a washing machine with detergent. And later dry them.
After drying check the pants if it has an even color and the desired color. In case it has a lighter color than your desire then, you can redo the coloring process.
How To Maintain Black-Dyed Pants
You should use the black dyed pant carefully as they can leave stains. While washing, wash them with black clothes or alone. Use less detergent and don’t wash it often. Be cautious at the time of ironing too.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Dye Khaki Pants Black?
Yes, you can dye khaki pants black as long as the material of the pants isn’t polyester. If the material is more than 50% polyester then the dye won’t set on the fabric. In the case of other types of fabric, you can bleach them before dyeing.
What Do I Need To Dye My Pants Black?
The necessary items you’ll need to dye your pants black are-
- Rubber gloves
- Wooden spoon
- Black dye (good quality)
How Long Does It Take To Dye Pants Black?
The whole process of dyeing will take at least an hour as you have to drench the pants for at least half an hour. Again, the longer you drench the pants the more permanent and deeper the color will be.
You can think about why you need to go through such a project which is time-consuming and can be messy. The answer is simply for recycling. Many of our clothes lose their appealing color after a few washes. After that, you can throw away the cloth but it’ll be a waste. Therefore instead of throwing away, you can dye it any color you want. You can get creative with the colors as well.