In the reign of winter, people love to wear faux fur. It is a creation of synthetic materials that imitates the look of animal fur. The essential synthetic materials are polyester, modacrylic, and acrylic fibers. The precise making of the faux fur aims to match real fur texture and come into being as outerwear, accessories, and blankets.
However, things become problematic when it starts shedding and losing beauty gradually. Then it becomes necessary to prevent shedding.
What to Do to Stop Faux Fur from Shedding?
It seems that you are craving to get the know-how. Be cool! This post contains the best tips in this respect. Get the steps one by one right below! Here we will imagine that the faux fur item is a blanket, alright? Okay, let’s go!
1. The Identification of the Problem
It is the first task you need to perform carefully. Find out the material type that is liable for shredding. Also, see the gravity of the problem. Even the level of the shredding may not be the same in all parts of the blanket.
Little hairs start coming off the faux fur. So before you apply any of the methods below, remove the hair from your blanket.
2. Getting Sure of the Fibers and Damage
Now put an eagle eye on the affected area. Though the shredding level is not too much in the artificial fur, it can exceed the average limit over time.
And be sure of the material. If blurry, it would help best if you assumed that the faux fur blanket is rabbit-made or other animals. It helps to live an animal-friendly lifestyle.
3. Brushing the Faux Fur Blanket
It’s time to brush the blanket gently. Brush out all the loose hairs if your faux fur blanket comprises real animal fur. It would help if you manage a toothbrush or a very soft bristle brush for this. Please avoid arrogant rubbing. Do let not the brushing damage your fur as it can cause further shedding.
Again, don’t forget the material type of your faux fur blanket and brush thereby.
4. Cleaning the Faux Fur Blanket
After removing all loose hairs, it would help if you emphasized cleaning your faux fur blanket. It will resist further shedding. Then how would you do that?
Well, get some cold water and a very mild detergent. Wash your faux fur blanket on a gentle cycle. It would be best to employ a top-loading washing machine. And before you add the blanket, to the load, put it in a laundry bag. It will save your other clothes as no loose fur can mix.
However, after washing, refrain from wringing out your faux fur blanket. Rather, have a dry clean towel to lay it flat, and then roll-up. This way, you can ”gently” banish excess water. Afterward, unroll your towel and go for air-drying the blanket.
5. Dry-Cleaning the Blanket
You may not have time to wash the faux fur blanket. In that case, the best option is to dry clean the blanket. However, you should approach someone with enough experience in cleaning faux fur. Only such a person can ensure adequately cleaning.
The procedure you can easily apply is as follows:
- Sink the faux fur blanket in water.
- Allow it to stay for around an hour. It will help take out any loose debris like dust or dirt.
- Next, clean the affected portion.
- Then use a toothbrush to apply fur cleaner that is designed to clean faux fur.
6. Conditioning the Blanket
The next task is to rub your faux blanket. It would help if you employed a clean damp rag to apply a conditioner. Only a small amount will suffice. Use your fingers and cover the whole blanket. The conditioner should be evenly distributed.
Let it soak for around five minutes. Then get some cold water to rinse the blanket. After removing the conditioner, apply some fur cleaner by using a clean damp rag. Again, use your fingers to work all over the faux fur blanket. Afterward, have some cold water again to rinse out any excess cleaner. It will effectively stop the blanket from shedding.
7. Sealing Your Blanket
There must remain some loose hairs. Employ a lint roller and take them out. Alternatively, you may use a fabric shaver or razor blade with a protective guard. Thus, you can easily remove lots of loose fur at a time. There should not be any fibers left over.
8. Storing the Blanket
Generally, we clean our blankets using a whole season, don’t we? Yes. Now as you followed all the steps above, it’s time to store the blanket.
In this respect, consider your pet’s hair. Else, hair fall is a common issue in our families. Therefore it would help best if you used a sealed storage bag to store the faux fur blanket. Such a bag will make resistance against any debris like dust or dirt. So they won’t be able to damage your faux fur blanket fibers.
And please vacuum the storage bag properly before you place your blanket therein. This way, you can nullify all the scope for probable debris.
How to Make a Fur Coat Stop Shedding?
We embrace fur coats. Unless we properly care about this, such a fur coat starts losing its shape as well as lifespan. Shedding is one of the effects. In that situation, instead of throwing the coat into the bin, we can try our best to stop the shedding.
The effort should not only emphasize reducing the shedding but also storing the fur coat. How is that? You have to go through the entire post for this!
The Best Techniques to Store a Fur Coat
- Make sure that air circulates in the room where the coat is stored. At the same time, avoid any air-tight containers such as plastic bags. This type of bag won’t let your fur coat breathe and compel it to shed.
Moreover, your fur coat will get dry if you store it in a plastic bag. It leads to the brittleness of the coat as it lacks air circulation. Indeed, air works as its lifespan-increaser.
- Let not your fur coat contact with direct sunlight. Your coat may start shedding as it dries out the coat and makes it vulnerable day by day. Therefore, it would help if you store your coat in a cool, dark place. Please note that you should avoid both heat and light!
However, you don’t need to worry about thinking that we are discouraging you from wearing a fur coat in sunlight. Not like that at all! Rather, long-run exposure to heat and light is harmful to a fur item. That’s it!
- Get a wide, strong hanger to hang your fur coat. Merely a wide sturdy hanger can ensure proper protection. And it would help best if you manage thinner hangers like wire hangers. It will not only maximize the likelihood of shedding but also create a crease by compressing the top of the shoulders.
Generally, a long fur coat is pretty heavy. Only a wide strong hanger can disperse such a weighty thing. On the contrary, your coat will put too much pressure if you choose a narrow, flimsy hanger. So you had better go for a wide strong one!
- A furrier can also be your keeper. As a professional, he can ensure proper storage. Apart from cleaning, you will have a fantastic storage facility. They ensure climate-controlled conditions for fur items. Especially, you may benefit from them during the warm months.
The Methods to Reduce Shedding
- Often we need to stay outside. It can be extreme rain or snow out there. If any of them sucks your fur coat, it may get damaged and start shedding. It is not always possible for a person to skip snow or rain, but you can certainly take shelter in such a situation and lessen the amount of damage.
- Another precaution to reduce shedding is- to avoid heat for drying a wet fur coat. Dare not use heat to dry it since this can be a reason for shedding. Rather, it would help best if you dry it at room temperature. And yes, the room needs to be well-ventilated. Shake the water first, and then let your fur coat dry. Alternatively, you may take this to a furrier!
- Sometimes, we rub up against our fur coats. It is a mistake! It begets serious damage due to friction. So it will be wise to avoid using anything that causes friction. For example, you should avoid using your purse as it continuously creates rubbing.
For the same reason, be careful when you store your coat in a closet. Let not nothing put pressure on it or make friction. Thus, it will remain secure. Nonetheless, if it sheds to some extent, it would be best to shake it out once a month.
- Here we go for another preventive measure. You had better say NO to any perfume or chemical when wearing a faux fur coat. The fact is- powerful chemicals like a hair spray can cause severe damage to hairs on a fur coat. So whenever you spray perfume, it will be wise to take off the fur coat. Let not the fur hairs get dried or brittle.
- This time let us say something curative. Let’s say the coat has already started to shed. Then it would help if you take your item to a furrier. It is a fine way of treatment. In a furrier, a coat gets conditioned. And always prefer an experienced furrier. Only such an expert can treat your coat as you desire!
How Do You Defuzz Faux Fur?
Faux fur is also known as fake fur. You will find this in many types of clothing, upholstery, and other household items. Naturally, due to use, it begins to fuzz. Then it becomes urgent to de-fuzz through proper cleaning.
Washing is the best way to de-fuzz your faux fur item. There are different washing methods that you may consider. Every method has its own pros and cons. It is up to you to choose one or you can embrace different methods at different times. Compared to other types of fabric, a faux fur item demands more care when washing. How?
Please move on and get them all in a few minutes!
Washing Faux Fur By Hand
Hand-wash is the safest technique for washing faux fur stuff. As a delicate fiber, it needs more care which is best possible by hand washing. The only demerit- it is quite time-consuming.
Manage the Materials You Need: Make sure that you have the things below-
- An appropriate size basin
- A mild detergent
- A bath towel
Prepare a Gentle Solution: Have some cool water. Mix the mild detergent with it. It would help best if you choose such a detergent that dissolves grease and dirt and at the same time protects delicate fabrics better.
Fix the amount of detergent carefully. Increase the amount of detergent if the faux fur item is bigger. The ratio of the detergent and water needs to be balanced. Don’t overlook the label of the detergent, okay!
Spot Clean Your Faux Fur Item: There might be a discoloration issue or ugly stain in some parts of your faux fur item. Then it would be best to spot-clean those areas first. So employ your fingers to apply the mild detergent. Rub those areas gently. However, refrain from harsh rubbing as it can permanently damage it. Then get some more cold water to rinse those portions. Is the stain a bit stubborn? Don’t hesitate to repeat the step, dear!
Sink Your Item: Now it’s time to immerse your faux fur item into the solution. Allow it to soak for around 10 to 15 minutes.
Rinse and Dry the Item: Make your faux fur-free from the detergent solution. Rinse it thoroughly so that it doesn’t get sticky afterward. Then remove the water drunk by your faux fur item. You had better employ a thick towel. It will be much easier to take out the excess water.
Simply pat the towel against your faux fur. It will do its job!
Washing Faux Fur By Machine
Do you know about the fastest method to wash any faux fur item? Well, machine-washing is the quickest medicine! At the same time, it is the most effortless. However, there should not be any harsh settings in your washing machine that can harm your faux fur! Anyways, now follow the steps to benefit from this technique-
Check the Tag: Your faux fur item must have a tag. Go through the tag carefully. It includes the most appropriate cleaning instruction.
Just follow the guidelines. Be sure whether the item allows the machine washing method or not.
Prepare Your Item: Let’s say faux fur is only a part of your cloth. In that case, it would help best if you turn the item inside out. Besides, you need to avoid fluff transferring and minimize the wear on the fur. So better wash one item at a time.
Employ the Right Setting: The machine setting should also be according to the tag. Generally, manufacturers recommend a delicate wash cycle since the fur is a delicate item. Do you want the most gentle spin dry? Well, it is the machine wash setting. Try to get that!
Apart from this, you need to use cold water. And a mild laundry detergent is a must to suit the delicateness of your faux fur item.
Take Out the Item: Now it’s time to remove your faux fur from the washing machine. Look, after finishing a cycle, your washing machine must get hot. So it will be wise to remove the item immediately as it is a delicate fabric.
If you delay, the chances are very high that heat will damage the shape of your faux fur item. After removing, let y our item fluff up by shaking. And please don’t forget to remove the excess water. Use a thick towel as you have seen in the hand-washing method.
Methods to Wash Faux Fur with Stubborn Stain
Let’s say you have a white faux fur item. Then be sure that it is prone to stubborn stains. Especially, when the stain mocks your color fur, it seems very odd! However, we have fine guidelines to restore its whiteness. Grab the techniques for de-fuzzing when your fur is stained.
Semolina or Starch
There are some steps to using starch powder. These are as follows-
- Choose a neat and clean surface to flatten your faux fur item.
- Aim at the discolored or stained area. Sprinkle a thick layer of semolina or starch over there.
- Get a cloth napkin and rub the discolored or stained portions.
- Allow the powder to for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Then remove the powder from your faux fur item. Employ a vacuum cleaner. Or you may get a stick on your hand and beat out the powder!
Please note that this technique can be quite time-consuming. Another issue is- it may provide you with mixed results.
Hydrogen peroxide is a common and effective washing ingredient. The interesting matter is- you can use it to restore the whiteness of your faux fur item too! Now apply the hydrogen peroxide according to the steps below-
- Ensure safety Make sure that you are going to wash your item in a well-ventilated area. Be careful of your eyes and wear gloves to protect both hands.
- Get 10 ml of hydrogen peroxide to combine with 500 ml of water. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Use a spray bottle to transfer the solution.
- Then apply this to the stained or discolored portion.
- Allow it dry with fresh air. Except for this, no heat or direct sunlight is allowed.
- Comb the faux fur item when it is dried.
Please note that experts do not recommend this for any other colors.
Baking Soda and Alcohol
- There might be a yellowish discoloration on the faux fur item. Then it would help best if you follow the steps below!
- Get 300 ml of warm water, 5 ml of rubbing alcohol, and 15 grams of baking soda to prepare a mixture.
- Then sink a soft brush therein to brush the solution on your faux fur item. Please do it gently! Your brush stroke should follow the natural strands of the fibers.
Other Methods to Defuzz Your Faux Fur Item
Try Detangling Solution
You may apply a hair detangler to de-fuzz a faux fur item. All you need to do is- apply this to the stained area. Then use a brush to comb there gently.
Air Dry Only
Try your best to avoid using a tumble dryer while dealing with your faux fur items. And as we suggested earlier, air-drying in a well-ventilated room is the best technique to dry a faux fur item.
Besides, do you want to increase air circulation? Then use an electric fan. However, please refrain from pointing the fan directly at your item. A strong direct wind may cause disruption.
Apart from this, please do not hang the faux fur item by using clips or pegs. This sort of thing can put a mark and hamper the aesthetic of your item.
It’s natural that there will be fur fibers all over the place after rinsing and drying. So you need to brush to revive its natural look. You had better employ a slicker brush for this operation. It would be great if your faux fur item features wide spaces between the bristles.
Frequently Asked Question and Answers
Question: Can I put fur in the freezer?
Answer: You should not use a freezer to treat any fur item. Instead, it would help best if you store it in a plastic garment bag. Such a bag blocks the sunlight and keeps your product healthy.
Question: Can faux fur go in the dryer?
Answer: Try your best to avoid a tumble dryer. It does not go with faux fur items. You had rather dry it in fresh air avoiding direct sunlight and ensuring a well-ventilated room.
Question: Do fur coats need cold storage?
Answer: Not necessarily! Instead, it’s wise to store fur coats in a cool, dark place.
Question: How do I stop fluff coming off my new coat?
Answer: Hand-wash is the best treatment in this regard. Otherwise, Go for a gentle cycle by turning your coat inside out. You must avoid bleach or strong detergent. Instead, it would help best if you apply a mild powder laundry detergent. And please don’t use hot water.
Question: Does all faux fur shed?
Answer: At least a bit of shedding is very common with all faux fur items. It is either due to use and washing or lack of maintenance. For instance, if you ignore regular brushing, you will face shedding.
To Sum Up
Shedding is frustrating. You may have different types of faux fur items. That’s why we have dealt with variations. Since washing or defuzzing is a solution to shedding, we covered them in detail.
Hopefully, you have got a healthy idea from this post.
Have a good day!